🍁🍂 Blogtober day three is here! When experimenting in the kitchen (my happy place) I came up with the idea for a gingerbread latte smoothie. I’m not really a fan of fruit – yes I know it’s strange coming from a vegan but I much prefer to eat veggies. However, I do love coffee (even though we share a tumultuous relationship) and I do like sweet spices so the idea of making a smoothie taste like cake mixture sounded quite fun and a good way to get some fruit into my diet. So here it is, I really like it as its like eating pudding for breakfast 😊
What you will need (for one serving):
– 1 ripe banana nice and spotty for sweetness
– 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped
– 1 tsp instant coffee
– 150ml almond milk
– 1tsp ground ginger
– 1tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– 1tsp vanilla essence
– 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
– 1/4 cup of porridge oats
Heat up the almond milk with the instant coffee to dissolve the granules. This only takes a minute or so on the hob.
Add to the blender along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Easy peasy 😀
* If you’re like me and like to know what’s in your food, you will be happy to know that this smoothie is a healthy one.
* Rewired isn’t going to count the calories in the smoothie because there aren’t enough in it to be worried about.
* The ingredients in this smoothie have many health benefits and I will list just a few:
– Bananas are so good for you. They are not as massively rich in potassium as most of you may think but they are pretty much good for everything else! They are high in fibre, full of vitamins and protein – yes protein! They help to lower cholesterol and blood pressure for a healthy ticker.
– Apples are also quite impressive when it comes to the prevention and the fight against disease. Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer with their antioxidants and flavonoids, apples are always a good idea.
– Cinnamon. What can I say? It’s one of those things that makes food taste like a treat and looks after you without you even realising it. It is a powerful antioxidant and anti inflammatory, great for protection against disease as well as painful conditions such as arthritis. It also has beneficial effect on neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s by protecting neurons and normalising neurotransmitter levels.
So without even noticing it, this tasty treat will be your health’s best friend as well as giving you the energy to start the day.