🍁🍂 Day six of Blogtober brings you a hearty breakfast of good old fashioned oats. So simple yet so filling. These are great to prepare the night before so you don’t have to think about making breakfast as soon as you wake up. As the mornings are getting colder, you may want to skip the overnight part and just chuck all of the ingredients in the microwave for a nice warm start to the day, it’s up to you.
What you will need –
– 1 mug of oats
– 250ml soy yoghurt (coconut or vanilla flavour works really well)
– 100ml almond milk
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ginger
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– 1 banana
– 1 handful of blueberries (I buy frozen blueberries as they are cheaper and last longer)
– desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top (optional)
Add the ingredients to a mason jar or and stir well. Sprinkle over the dedicated coconut if you have any. Most recipes will tell you to layer the ingredients but I find that it is much tastier when they are mixed together. It won’t look so Instagram worthy though so beware 😉 Leave in the fridge overnight for an easy grab and go breakfast.
*If you’re like me and like to know what’s in your food, you will be happy to know that this breakfast is a healthy one.
*Rewired isn’t going to count the calories in these overnight oats as there aren’t enough in them to be worried about.
*The ingredients in this recipe have many health benefits and I will list just a few:
– Blueberries are pretty much one of the most super of foods. They have a higher antioxidant content than any other fruit or vegetable and are packed full of vitamins. These berries take care of you very well indeed.
– Ginger is a member of the curcumin family which is a great anti inflammatory and also helps with age related cognitive decline.
– Maple syrup is my favourite sweetener and it is unrefined and natural so far better for you than sugar or ‘stevia.’ It’s great for skin and digestive function and you maybe surprised to find that it is actually relatively high in calcium – amazing!