🍁🍂 Blogtober day 8. It’s Saturday and if you went out last night you might be feeling a little worse for wear. Well, today is your lucky day because instead of feeling sorry for yourself and chowing down on junk food full of trans fats, the ‘feel better Buddha bowl’ will give you all the energy you need to face the day and make your tummy very happy indeed 😇
What you will need (serves 2 although you might need to eat both if you’re ravenous):
– 1 block of firm tofu
– 1 head of broccoli
– a handful of button mushrooms
– a handful of edamame (I buy these frozen to cut the cost massively)
– at least 3tbsp soy sauce
– 1cm cube of root ginger (finely chopped or grated)
– 1/2tsp cinnamon
– 1 lime
– rice of your choice
– fresh coriander and spring onion to garnish
Drain your tofu of water as best you can. Chop it into cubes and slice your mushrooms. Add the tofu and mushrooms to a bowl, sprinkle your tiny ginger pieces on top and pour the soy sauce over them. Leave in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (uncovered). This will marinade the tofu and make it taste divine.
Boil your rice as per instructions on the packet. Chop your broccoli florets and steam/ boil this and the edamame for 8-10 mins.
Add your tofu and mushrooms to a pan and set to a medium heat. You can use a tsp of sesame oil if you would like to deepen the flavour but this is not necessary. If there is any soy sauce left in the bowl, pour that in too. Add the cinnamon and the juice of half the lime and let it all cook for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the tofu develops an almost crispy outer layer.
Assemble your bowl however you like and slice the rest of the lime (if you want to squeeze it over the ingredients for zesty freshness). Garnish with coriander and spring onion to lift the whole dish – seriously the best! I also like a generous amount of sweet chilli sauce or sriracha with mine for some heat and added naughtiness.
Nutritional Spotlight –
*If you’re like me and like to know what’s in your food, you will be happy to know that these Buddha bowls are seriously healthy.
*Rewired isn’t going to count the calories in this meal because there aren’t enough in it to be worried about.
*The ingredients in the ‘feel better Buddha bowl’ have so many health benefits it’s almost unbelievable and I will list just a few:
– Broccoli is one of the most wonderful vegetables around. If you want protein, calcium, zinc, iron, omega 3 fats, magnesium, potassium, vitamins A,B,C,E and K amongst many other nutrients, broccoli is your best bet.
– Tofu is also packed full of protein and calcium. It’s also seriously underrated – it soaks up flavour so well you can pretty much make it taste however you want. So when people ask what vegans eat to get protein, this is just one of my many answers.
– Edamame, well what do you know? Just look up and there’s your answer. Pretty much the same as tofu, it just tastes like a pea/bean hybrid and looks so pretty 👌🏻
Your hangover helper never looked so good. If you were on your best behaviour last night but are looking to lose a few pounds, lower your cholesterol and blood pressure or slow down the ageing process, eat this meal at least once a week and you will reap the benefits I promise!