🍁🍂 Happy Sunday kids. It’s day 9 of Blogtober and this is the perfect autumnal dinner to keep you warm and cosy as the evenings get colder. Another great family meal for non-vegans too as the flavour is lovely and rich, you won’t even think about the absence of meat.
What you will need (serves 2):
– 500g gnocchi
– 1 handful of button mushrooms
– 1 courgette
– 1/2 onion
– 1 cup of red wine
– 1 tbsp passata
– 1 tin chopped tomatoes
– 1/2 tsp rosemary
– 1 tsp thyme
– 1/2 tsp marjoram
– 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– salt and pepper to taste
– fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
Finely chop your onion and sauté in a pan of shallow water on a low to medium heat with a pinch of salt to sweat the onion. When the onion turns translucent, add your courgette and mushrooms (all chopped into small pieces) to the pan. Add more water if it dries up.
After a few minutes, add the passata, garlic, herbs and wine. Let this reduce down for about 5 minutes. This allows the vegetables to soak up the wine and for the alcohol to cook out.
Add the chopped tomatoes and Dijon mustard. Allow everything to simmer down on a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until you have a thick sauce consistency. Season to taste and add extra herbs if you feel it needs more flavour.
Boil you gnocchi following the instructions on the packet. Pour the sauce over and garnish with basil or parsley for added depth and prettiness.
* If you’re like me and like to know what’s in your food, you will be happy to know that this dinner is a healthy one.
* Rewired isn’t going to count the calories in this meal because there aren’t enough in it to be worried about.
* The ingredients in this dish have many health benefits and I will list just a few:
– Red wine contains resveratrol which is a naturally occurring phenol with cancer fighting abilities.
– Rosemary has antioxidant properties and also contains essential oils which are anti inflammatory and antiseptic.
– Similarly to rosemary, Marjoram also has anti inflammatory and antiseptic components. It’s great for skin and hair also.
I really love this meal and it is really special with a nice glass of red, some candles and a good movie to watch. Relax and enjoy…🍷